Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Chromosome 18 conference

 This is not a great picture of our Ring 18 family, but it's the only one I got-facebook has some better ones. At the beginning of August I had the chance to volunteer at the Chromosome 18 conference that was held in downtown San Antonio.  It was one of the highlights of my summer. The last time I attended this conference was 6 months before Emily passed away. It was wonderful to be with all of these kids who were just so great, and their amazing parents. And to know that even though only one of the parents there had experienced a loss of a child, they all could put themselves in my shoes-no "I just can't imagine." It was just good for my soul to be with these wonderful people.
 We went to Morgan's Wonderland, a park devoted to people with special needs. I just loved being there with everyone, though it was so hot, and being about 7 weeks pregnant at the time I felt terrible!
This little guy has Ring 18 like Emily, and is similarly affected as far as the things he does. He loves kicking his legs and rolling around like Emily did. He's 3.  I got to play with him one morning when he was happy like this and listen to his giggles; it just did my heart good. 
 We had some of our favorite people (though they are Ute fans) stay with us for a night.  I loved watching Abby play with Lily; Lily quite looks up to her like an older cousin.  And it was so nice to have grown up conversations. My life is so different now then it was with Emily, it's nice to have that connection to her and to have friends who I know can relate.
 And our little guy Deakon walked for us; he went to Sea World and was very happy to tell you about the ride he went on; steeper than Splash Mountain and he loved it.  I just loved every minute of getting to play with him!
 This is our little friend Emarie. I really loved the fact that Lily and Lance got to meet friends who were similar to Emily in different ways.  It did my heart good to see them play with the kids in the daycare.
Overall a great week that I hope I can experience again. I'm glad I've stayed involved in the Society even though Emily's not here-she was here in Spirit that week, though! I think maybe that's why it meant so much to me; I was able to connect to my Emily and feel like I was somehow doing something for her, even though she's not here.

5 comments:

Tif said...

I am so glad you go to go to the conference, Cami. I know how wonderful it can be to not be hearing "I can't imagine" and know that the people around you don't have to imagine-they know.

I love how you slipped "7 weeks pregnant" in there. Is this how you're outing yourself on your blog???

raisruckus said...

I too loved the "slip." Congrats! What a special conference to get to participate in. I keep wanting to take the kids to Morgan's Wonderland. Not only does it look like fun, but I would love for them to get to play and meet new friends. Love this post.

Hoenes Family said...

What a wonderful experience. How great that you feel such a connection to all of the people who attended the conference. It is always nice to know there is someone who understands your situation.

Camille Hammond said...

Ha Tif, yeah I figure I can out myself on the blog; hardly anyone reads it so I don't feel like its telling the world like Facebook! And yes, it's very different to be with people who can imagine. We need to catch up soon!

Alisha said...

I'm glad the news is finally "out" since that means everything is going well and we are so happy for you guys! It was so wonderful to spend time with you and for the kids to spend some time together. It also makes my heart swell when typical kids play with Emarie of their own accord. You have some great kids that you have raised!