Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

26.2 miles? Seriously?

We're off tomorrow to fly to Oregon so that I can run my first marathon with Janica in Newport. I kind of think we're crazy. I'm hoping that everything goes well, and that we feel good. At least it's going to be nice weather, not hot like it is here! Newport's right on the coast in Oregon, and Robby and I went to the Oregon coast on our honeymoon. Janica and I used to run against each other in high school, and are really looking forward to running this whole race together-not trying to beat each other! We just want to finish this one! Robby and Lily are going to cheer us on, along with Janica's family, my parents, sister, and Robby's mom and sister. I'm not worried about the first 18 miles-its the last 8 that make me nervous! When Emily was in the NICU on the ventillator as a baby, they had her settings set in a way, that the respitory therapist said asking her to breath on the ventillator was like asking one of us to run a marathon. So I promised Emily that if she could do it, I'd run a marathon some day. So, here it goes! Send positive energy our way! Lily hasn't pulled herself all the way up yet, but she likes doing this when she can. And then she gets stuck sometimes, so we have to help her down.

Lily loves this chair that makes music, and will crawl to it from wherever she is in the house.

Robby tried to make a barricade to keep Lily in the living room the other Sunday. It definitly did not work!


Here's Em's marker. I debated about whether to post it or not, but I know many of you who look at this blog were at the funeral, either in San Antonio or in Quincy. The stone is actually green, but it's hard to tell because it was so sunny.
Behind Emily to the left is her Grandma Hammond, and to the right is Robby's Uncle Randy.

11 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

You can totally do this! You guys rock! I am excited to hear how it goes. Emily's stone is beautiful. I am glad you posted it. Good luck to you. I am sure you will do great.

Sandra Dubreuil said...

The BEST of LUCK this weekend!!

Tif said...

"I'm not worried about the first 18 miles" ....ok, that right there says you two are CRAZY!!!

Is the marathon on Saturday? I was trying to get John to have us go do something in Portland, but maybe the coast sounds better...need any extra cheer-er-on-ers?

I know how hard it can be to look at a marker, but Em's is just beautiful. Love ya!

Jenny H said...

You will do awesome, and I know you'll have help:) I am so proud of you. Em's marker is gorgeous.
We totally have that chair that Lily loves. Deak loves it; it has been the best toy. She is just getting cuter and bigger every time you post pictures!!!

Aleena said...

Yay! You can do it Cami and Jani! What a great goal! Burn some calories for me too, okay? PS - what a sweet marker you have for Emily. She will be cheering you on this weekend too!

Tyler & Michelle said...

I know you can do it. What a neat story. Thanks for sharing her marker too.

I can't wait for you to get back to SA and we can celebrate. We can also buy you a sticker for your car that says "26.2". I see those all the time.

Laura said...

Love Emily's stone. It is beautiful.

And I think you two are CRAZY in the head -- 13 miles is my distance limit -- but it's kinda fun to work for a goal, eh?

GOOD LUCK!!

Jodi said...

Emily's marker is beautiful. The flowers are gorgeous as well.

Good luck on the run. I think you are absolutely crazy!

Beckie said...

I know you can do the marathon. You are so great at running. Emily's stone is very beautiful.

Bridget said...

Good luck on the run!!! You are in great shape, so I am sure you will do fine. Thanks for sharing Emily's stone. It is very beautiful.

Janalyn said...

Someone told me the same thing when Cis was on the vent, but I never even dreamed of running a marathon for her! I think it's so great you accomplished that, and that you and Janica did it together.
I'm glad you posted Emily's headstone, it's really beautiful.