Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Friday, May 8, 2009

This Dang Texas Heat

I hate the heat in Texas. This year it actually didn't get super hot unti this week. It's been around 100, with 80% humidity. It's the humidity that I hate. It never cools off. At 6:00 AM it's 79% outside. That's just gross. For 6:00 AM, anyway. So, as I was laying in bed thinking about this last night, it made me think of Emily this time last year. The day after Mother's Day she had hip and foot surgery on her left hip and both feet. She was in this cast for 5 weeks, from May 12, 2008-June 16, or something like that. Look at that smile! She endured the whole thing like that, just happy. She never once complained that she had this cast covering over half her body. She would smile and play just like she always did. I was 6 months pregnant at the time, so we were quite the pair. That cast was heavy and akward!
Emily was able to go to school, even with this cast on. The staff was so terrific about working with her and helping her be happy and comfortable. This is how she'd get around.

Isn't that the most beautiful smile? I love this picture. It's so Emily. I went gararge sell hunting for dresses before the surgery, because I knew that's what she'd have to wear. COOL summer dresses. And I found a sell that had dozens. So all the dresses she's wearing cost about $1 each. It was great. I think she stayed pretty comfortable, considering it was 100 degrees outside and she was in this cast!
This is how she slept. We put a sheet down over the bean bags that our friends let us borrow. We'd actually prop her up on her side. This cast went up above her belly button. They cut a hole for the diaper area. We would stuff a small diaper up inside, and then put the pull up over the top. It worked pretty well! So, I'm done complaining about the heat. These pictures should help me remember not to complain-I'm not pregnant and I don't have a body cast!



6 comments:

Beckie said...

I love the pics of Emily. She has such a beautiful smile even when she was uncomfortable with the case.

The Kroebers said...

I have a feeling Emily was an amazing little girl.

We did go to Wenatchee and drove right through Quincy. That's crazy that Robby grew up there. It's a great area though. My sister and her family like it.

Jenny H said...

Thanks so much for this today Camille. I just love her smile. She looks so adorable in those dresses; I can't believe you found them all for a dollar.

Alisa said...

Great photos...and what cute dresses you found for her (*and cheap...even better!)

Hawaii looks amazing...I'm so glad you guys went!

I love all of the photos you post of Lily and Emily!

Thanks again for letting us visit in March...it was nice to get to know you guys better, even if it was so brief!

Jessica Wille said...

I remember that cast and you pregnant! Okay, I will stop complaining of the heat now also!

Katherine said...

Thanks so much for sharing all of this. Timothy's right hip surgery is scheduled for October 6th and I have been thinking a lot about how we are all going to endure several weeks of recovery. The challenge I have been worried about is how to position him for sleep because of his low tone and all (well, you know what I mean). The bean bags are brilliant. I'll be sure to pull ours out of the basement and set them next to our bed.
I'm so happy to see she was so patient and happy through it all! These little people are so amazing!!