Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Monday, June 1, 2009

We Did It!

Janica and I ran our first marathon on Saturday, in Newport, Oregon. It was an amazing experience for me. I'll post pictures in the next day or so. Here's a link where you should be able to see us at the finish line. http://aep.exposuremanager.com/p/nm09_45/under45_14534 Thre's 2 pictures after that one of us, too. The race was right on the coast, and followed the water the entire way. We had perfect weather. I was lucky, and felt really good for the whole race. My legs were tired at the end, but no bad knees or anything like that. Janica's right leg was bothering her, which was a bummer for her, but we felt good about how we did overall. Our final time was 4 hours 11 minutes, and from mile 15, where we turned around to head back to the finish line, no one passed us, but we passed quite a few people. Our 2nd half was actually faster than our first, I think due to less bathroom breaks. As we crossed the finish line I was laughing and crying. I was quite unprepared for how emotional I was! I haven't felt like that since Lily was born. Lily was obviously the more important, bigger, better event, but the way I felt as far as my emotions was similar. I started training for this right after Emily died, and I think that had a large part to do with how emotional I was at the end. I think that she was cheering us on. And we had so many people there at the end-Robby, Lily, Janica's family, Robby's sister and her husband, his mom and her friend, and my parents and sister Sarah. I think it doesn't matter what it is or the distance of the race, that feeling of accomplishing a goal is just a great feeling. Thanks for all the encouraging words!

14 comments:

Morgan said...

Yay Camille! I am so proud of you guys! Amazing! I can't wait to see you guys when you get back in town!

Suzanne Bjornn White said...

Way to go Camille! I am seriously incredibly impressed. I wish I could do something like that. What a fantastic feeling of accomplishment! :)

Tif said...

Awesome! I'll bet that was a very healing race!

Sorry we didn't make it-I wish I would get to see you while you're up. But that's the way life goes sometimes. Have a good time at the graduation...little Sarah...wow. Time flies :)

Hoenes Family said...

That is so great!!!! I am so glad that it went well for you. What a neat experience. That is wonderful that you and Janica got to do it together. What a great time. You guys are speed demons!

Jenny H said...

You guys are amazing...that time is AMAZING!! And, I am so in awe. I am glad it was such a neat experience.

EM said...

AWESOME!!! Hi Camille, it's Emilee (Smith) Pike. I think you are AMAZING!

Brian Adair Fam said...

What an accomplishment! Very proud of you. Seriously, I have so much admiration for anyone who can run a marathon!! I love the reason why you started training for and running the marathon! You are such an inspiration to all of us!!

Laura said...

WAY TO GO!!! I've been watching for an update! You guys look so cute in the photos--I am amazed by you, and I know what you mean about accomplishing a goal... nothin like it. Maybe Emily was running it with you, now that she can. :)

Tyler & Michelle said...

Good job! You are amazing.

Min said...

That is so awesome. You are amazing. See you when you get home.

Beckie said...

Yeah for you! And you look gorgeous even after running 26 miles!

Aleena said...

Congratulations! You and Janica are my heroes!

Wilson Family said...

Great job girls..there is no better feeling, setting a goal and accomplishing it. That is awesome. I am so happy you guys got to run it together. What are sisters for??

Monica said...

This made me cry--I am so proud of you and love the thought that Emily was there with you!