Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'm How Old?

I'm old enough to finally be somewhat grateful that being short makes me look younger! I'm still not at the point that everyone would tell me when I was in high school, when I was 16 being mistaken for a 12 year old-"You'll be so glad when you're older." Now that I'm "older" I still wish I was taller! But I can at least appreciate it a little bit.
Now that the trauma of turning 30 is past, I will embrace it.
I've tried to think of the things I'd like to do in my 30's-my 20's I have to say, were a rather tough decade. Almost half were dedicated to Emily, and 2 1/2 years were spent pregnant. I have pretty easy pregnancies, but I don't love being pregnant!
I think the most significant things that happened to me in my 20's were: getting married, graduating from college and getting my first and only "real job" as a 1st grade teacher, having 3 children, burying my first child, and running a marathon.
So this decade I have a few goals, and I figure if I write them down here I'll have some sort of accountability to myself.
1. I want to try to practice the piano at least 15 minutes. Not just play through my books, but actually work on songs.

2. I would really love to learn to sew. Just enough so that I don't have to have someone show me any time I want to try something easy, like make a blanket, curtains, or a simple skirt.

3. I want to try to bake something new every week, and to make one new thing for dinner each week. I know people who have done that every day, and my hat's off to them! If I can do it once a week I think I'll be doing good!

4. I would really love to do a triathlon. Swimming in open water scares me. Not just to do anytime, but to do as a race. I'm slowly getting better, but I still like to be able to touch the bottom when I'm swimming laps! I would love to do at least a sprint triathlon. First I also need to get a bike! I keep waiting until we move back to the Northwest to pursue this one, but maybe I need to just bite the bullet and do it. It's hard to find triathlons in Texas that aren't on Sunday, though.

So I know these are all more selfish things for me, but I don't feel up to writing all the ways I need to be a better person!
The 20's were tough, but I will say that I was happy through it, for the most part, and I hope that that can also be the case for my 30's! Joy in the journey and all that. I love being a mom and I'm grateful for that.

4 comments:

Ware Family said...

Well, they say 50 is the new 30 so I guess that makes 30 the new 10. So have fun! :) I think you SHOULD be making some personal goals right now. It is good for you to accomplish things you want to accomplish for yourself when you are able--you've spent a LOT of time the past several years doing everything for everyone else. It's not selfish at all to do things for yourself. I think your goals are extremely lofty! Mine right now are just to practice the two hymns I play on Sunday, try to lose the baby weight, and keep my kids fed and in pants!
Camille, you are awesome and an inspiration to me. I'm glad we became friends all those years ago.
PS Whatever happened to Draper??

Tif said...

Our 20's sure have thrown us some curve balls, huh? I'm with you-I feel like I deserve my 30's to be the prime of my life!

On the sprint triathlon-both mine and Janica's stakes have had a RS sprint triathlon. I'm sure you knew that already about hers last year, and then mine copied them this year. I'm not doing it because, well, I'd probably die, but if they did it again next year I would definitely go for it. Maybe you could spearhead one for down there! They seem to be a ton of fun for all the ladies involved, especially those who never thought they'd be able to do one.

April said...

I loved reading this and started thinking about everything I've accomplished and gone through...I think you've got me beat!
I really want to do a triathlon too.
April

Alisha said...

You are amazing!! I love all your goals, and there's NO way I could come close!! And I still think you look WAY young, and NOT just because you're short ;)

Glad you had a great birthday, and hope there are many more to come (that are happy I mean!)