Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sleep, Baby, Sleep!


So here's what's going on with Mr. Lance. He's really a good baby. he wakes up between 7:00-8:00, is awake for 1/2 hour-1 hour, takes a 1/2 hour-45 minute nap, wakes up again around 9:00, sleeps again around 11:30-1:00, and then takes another nap from 3:00-5:00. And then goes to bed around 8:00. He eats every 3 hours, about 7:00, 10:00, etc. So he has a decent day time schedule. The problems are, #1, he won't sleep laying down. Refuses. Even if he is so, so tired. He screams and screams. Then as soon as I put him in his carseat he goes right to sleep. Without crying. So it's hard to let him scream in his bed, because I know he'll go right to sleep in his carseat. I don't think he has reflux, because he'll play on the ground just fine for a long time, right after he eats. We've tried getting him to sleep on his stomach, too, but he doesn't like that, either. So my question is, do I let him just keep sleeping in his carseat, or do I make him cry it out? We go to the doctor tomorrow, so I'll ask him, too.

Our other issue is nighttime. He will eat around 10:00 Pm, and then again around 2:00, and if I let him again at 4:00, 6:00. The other night when he woke up at 4:00 I put him in his swing without feeding him and he went until 8:00. We started him on cereal the other day, and two nights ago he only woke up once, and last night he was up at 9:30, 11:30 (where I fed him) and then at 2:00. So at 2:00 I put him in his swing again without feeding him, and he slept until 7:15! So now I know he can make it through the night, so do I let him cry in the middle of the night when he wakes up, or just put him in his swing like I did last night. I think that's what I'll do for a bit, and hope it helps him establish the pattern of not needing to eat. If he still cries in his swing I'll feed him. But eventually I've got to figure something else out. So that's what's on my mind this morning. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Adolescent Family said...

Hi guys! Your kiddos are adorable! One of our kids slept in their car seat for awhile too. Try putting the car seat in the crib for a while maybe. I would put the swing in his room too, that way he relates his room with being a place where he is comfortable :) Eventually you can move him to the crib. Hope that helps! Good luck! Its always tricky figuring them out :)

Jenny H said...

I had to do the carseat and swing with Deak. He too wanted to eat ALL night long for TWO Years!!! I finally just had to have him cry it out for a few nights. I say, you know what's best. Do whatever needs to be done to keep you all sane!:)

Hoenes Family said...

Brooke slept in her carseat until she was 7 or 8 months old! If I remember right, when I mover her to the crib she had a bit of hard time at first, but it ended up alright. Kenzi NEVER slept on her back. So frustrating! So honestly, I don't know what to tell you! I would say cry it out, but I can't do that myself so...... :) I don't know! Good luck!

Christine said...

As for the car seat dilemma...I dunno. (But it sounds like you got some good feedback on that already). As for the sleeping through the night-- when they weigh...I want to say 11 or 13 pounds, they are metabolically OK to go 8-10 hours without eating. So...what I did (James was 2 months old) is if he did wake up before the 8 hours were up (if it was after I'd feed him), I'd go peek on him just to make sure the blanket wasn't over his head, or he wasn't stuck, and then I would set the alarm for 15 minutes. If he was still crying at this point (which more often than not, he put himself back to sleep), I would go in and rub his back or I would sometimes rock him just a little bit to calm him down. If he doesn't calm down with you and acts like he just wants to eat, send Robby in for a few nights instead-- he doesn't associate eating with Robby. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

The Burnah Clan said...

haha, all my kiddos slept in car seats/swings for the first several months of life (one was almost a year!)...I loved it. :) It made travel so easy! Well, actually at 6 months I started the cry it out in the bed too...until then, I didn't care what they did. good luck....