Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Baby Lance is Here!

Okay, these pictures are in reverse order, sorry. Lance Reid Hammond arrived Friday, April 23rd at 2:45 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 6 ounces and is 21 inches long! He seems tall and skinny to me-Lily seemed a bit thicker, but she was 7 lbs 4 ounces and 20 3/4 inches. Emily was 5'8 and 18 inches. This was yesterday. Proud big sister!
Our first family picture. Lily was sick-I had to take her to the doctor on Thursday, the day before he was born, and she had an infection in her throat and a fever. It wasn't strep, but we still waited until Saturday until she met him. She hasn't figured out that she can hold him yet, so we're keeping it that way for a few more days, because I think she'll want to hold him all the time once she figures out she can!

He has huge feet! The nurse called the Tree Climber feet. We've also called them Hobbit feet. We compared them to a plaster we have of Emily's feet when she was 11 months old, and they're the same size! His might even be a bit bigger.

It took him a few seconds to start crying, because he shot out super fast-they said he was a bit stunned. But then he gave some good wails.
My first time holding him.


Okay, here's the birth story, for those who are curious. We went in at 5:00 AM to be induced. Our neighbor came over and stayed with Lily Friday morning and then took care of her Friday and stayed at our house Friday night so that she could be in her own bed. Thanks Maggie!

They started me on the pittosin at 6:15 and I started having contractions right away. The doctor came in at 8:30 and I was dialated to a 3 but hadn't effaced much more (I was 50% when I came in) so she opted to wait a bit longer to break my water. We decided to get the epidural before they broke my water, because once they break it my contractions get awful, especially in my back. So I got the epidural at 10:15 and the doctor came back at 10:45 to break it. My contractions were coming right on top of each other after that, so I'm really glad I got the epidural first this time! They had to turn off the PITT because he didn't like it that much, and I went to a 4 and 90% effaced in 15 minutes. So that was at 11:00. When they checked again at 12:00 I was about a 6 according to the nurse, and then when the doctor checked at 1:00 she said I was a 5! So the doctor, nurse and I weren't happy about that-the fact I hadn't really progressed. They turned back on the PITT (it had been on, off, on and then off again) And then I started feeling my contractions again. I could always feel them, but just like braxton hicks. These started to hurt! So I called my nurse who called the anestheisiologist, and at about 1:40 he gave me more medicine through the epidural. So by 2:00 life was good again. Then at 2:30 I felt the "pressure" they talk about and called the nurse. The doctor was next door, having just delivered a baby, and so she checked me and I was ready! Lance was very polite, waiting until the epidural was working again before making me work!

The nurses had me push through one contraction while the doctor was getting ready, and then told me to not push anymore. I think Lance's heartrate must have been doing funny things, because they were pretty anxious for the doctor to get in and put me on oxygen. The doctor got there and they told her I was ready, and he came out, or according to the doctor and Robby, shot out, in one push. He wasn't breathing when he came out and gave us a good scare for 10-20 seconds, but once they started rubbing him down he gave out a good cry and then I started crying! Soreness wise he was much kinder then Lily, so things have been pretty good on that front.

Lily has done pretty well adjusting to the baby. She gives him lots of kisses, but hasn't seemed too jelous. It's great having my mom here to help take care and play with her, cook, clean, be our slave! J/K. Kindof. :-) We came home from the hospital on Sunday. Sunday night was rough-Lance didn't sleep AT ALL, but last night was a bit better. Robby took yesterday, today and tomorrow off, which is nice, too. I'm off to bed now!

13 comments:

Barlow Fam said...

Yeah! How exciting, I can't wait to meet him!

Jenny said...

congratulations! so glad he made it here safely. thanks for sharing your birth story. i love to read those. :)

Jenny H said...

Yay!!! Such great pictures. I love his feet...just think of all the trees he will be climbing!:)

Laura said...

Congratulations!!! You made it seem easy :) What a great looking family.

The Tulett Family said...

Yay! Congratulations. He is so cute. So glad everything went smoothly and you and the baby are healthy.

Hoenes Family said...

I love reading birth stories. I seriously can not believe how similar our stories are! Crazy. He is adorable. Congrats to you guys!

Alisha said...

He is just perfect, and I'm glad to hear that everything went well! I am jealous that you seemed to have mastered that birthing technique! I am still terrified to have another after the trauma of giving birth to Emarie! Lily does look so proud, and I know Emily is too!

JoeKatie said...

Congrats on the birth of Baby Lance!

We have a little guy named Lance, Too! Great name. I sing him a funny song... Lance, Lance, Poopy pants! (he even knows the words now.)

Hope you don't mind the blog post, I left one on someone's that I know from way back and the next time I went to their blog, they had made it private. (so please don't)

It was wonderful reading about your beautiful family.

Congrats again.

Love Katie

Jessica Wille said...

Yeah pictures!! He is so sweet!! Congratulations! I"m so happy everything went well!

Cherise said...

Wow! Lilly seems so grown up, now! Crazy how babies will do that to a kid. Congratulations! Lance is a really cute baby and I love that his feet are as big as Emily's when she was almost an entire year older than him. :)

Jennie said...

Congrats!! So glad that everthing went well. He is an adorable baby. Lily is going to be a good little helper for you. Wish we could be there to hold the little guy!

Alisa said...

Yay! congrats!! He makes Lily look so BIG!!

Janalyn said...

Congratulations Camille! So glad he only scared you guys for 10-20 seconds. What a handsome baby!!