Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

We Made It!

Merry Christmas! This was a Christmas full of firsts for us, and we got through it. It was our first Christmas without Emily, our first Christmas in Texas, the first Christmas with no family around, the first Christmas we made gingerbread houses, the first we had a child who could drive around to see the Christmas lights (Emily couldn't see them to enjoy them), and the first Christmas with a kid who slept in on Christmas day! Emily would be up at 4:00 am, because we'd be in Washington, and it would be 6:00 her time.
We enjoyed our first Christmas in Texas. We really missed Emily and our family, but I think it was good for us be somewhere where we didn't have so many memories. On Monday we made gingerbread houses with some friends. Robby had never made one before! Lily loved the candy. Candy canes are her favorite. On Christmas Eve we went bowling-another first. We haven't been bowling since we've lived in Texas (almost 5 years). Lily was very fasinated with watching the ball.
Here's our family on Christmas Eve. As a disclaimer, this shirt makes me look bigger than I really am. Or at least that's what I tell myself, so lets just go with it, please!

My mom made all the girls Snow White dresses and got them the movie for Christmas. So I had to put her in it. Lily's favorite part was the shoes.
I gave her my old cell phone, and it was a hit. It was the first thing she wanted to have this morning, too.


I stained this rocking horse, and it was the first thing she went to on Christmas morning. After we unwrapped presents we watched old videos of Emily on Christmas. It was very bitter sweet. We had our good cry while watching it. I loved watching her roll around and concentrate so hard on what she was doing. I will try to put some video on sometime in the next month or so of little Em. One of my favorite parts was seeing her love Robby's family cat. She and Lily really share a love of animals! And to see her get so excited while in her bouncer. Christmas has been looming ahead for me since January when Em passed away, and now we need to get through next month!

8 comments:

Tif said...

I canNOT believe Robby had never made a gingerbread house before. Clearly he was a deprived child and teenager!

I am so glad that you guys made it through-and that you had so many firsts! I know it was a hard milestone to mark.

I'll be thinking of you lots this next month-don't hesitate to call if you need someone to listen. ((hugs))

Barlow Fam said...

What a special post of first. I'm glad you "made it" though wish you never had to. What special memories you are making for Lily and ways to remember her precious sister.

I don't know if I have ever told you this, but my mom had a sister who passed away before she was born. It's funny, I still think of her and the memories that my mom has shared and love her so much. To think, my mom was in the same boat as Lily, her nieces and nephews will still love and know Emily.

Love ya!

Jenny H said...

What an amazing example you are to me Camille. I am so glad you made it through Christmas. What a beautiful idea to watch Em's Christmas videos.
Come Visit Utah this month...I want to take care of you....:)

Alisa said...

Wow...Lily is getting so big! I'm glad you had the opportunity to create new memories this year, while still remembering the old. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Aleena said...

Merry Christmas! It's so fun to see pictures of your family and hear about all the fun firsts this Christmas.

Beckie said...

What a beautiful Christmas. Lily is just beautiful.

Alisha said...

Just want you guys to know we are thinking of you this month. We admire you two so much, I think you are an amazing mother!

davesadventures said...

I can't believe all the comments you get! But I do want a copy of Lily in that dress I made for Em. AND I love the picture of your very fist gingerbread house which you made together. What a good tradition to continue in your own family. Love you