Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hospital Stay and Janica's visit

Wow! A lot has happened since Thursday night! Emily, who I said earlier was wheezing on Thursday, ended up in the ER Friday with asthma. At school she was coughing so they checked her oxygen levels, and they were low, so they called me, and when the nurse told me how low they were (in the mid 80's instead of 90's) I knew we'd be heading to the emergency room. So I grabbed the diaper bag with some extra milk for Lily and took off. I hadn't even showered yet, from running. At school we called the doctor, who told us to go to the ER. They had her on oxygen at school, so I ran over to my friend's house, who lives next to the school, fed Lily, took a shower, and went back to Emily. Jill was a saint. She made me lunch and kept Lily Friday night.
Robby had left the day before to go to the BYU football game on Saturday with some buddies. At that point we didn't think Emily was that sick. He felt really bad that he wasn't here to help me and cuddle with Emily. When he got back on Sunday he stayed with Emily at the hospital and took care of the girls Monday and Tuesday so that I could do things with Janica .
They put Em on oxygen and eventually took us up to a private room, where we could see the San Antonio Temple! They started Emily on breathing treatments, antibiodics, and steroids, and that was what they did the entire time we were there.
On Saturday the doctor came in and said some not very nice things. I won't go into them, they're not worth mentioning, but they were very negative towards Emily and her mental state. We will be switching pulminologists in the near future. He's waiting for Emily to fail instead of hoping she'll succeed.
Lily spent the afternoon and evening with me. I had been starving and was a little bit discouraged when I talked to my visiting teacher. A half hour later she showed up at the hospital with homemade food and a chance for me to go get out of the hospital and walk around. I was surrounded by angels this weekend in the form of friends and my sister! I cried when Cindy got there-I really needed a break!
Janica and Akaila came in Saturday night. Janica had been planning this trip for several months. When it was determined that Emily didnt' have the flu or RSV she decided to still come, and was a huge help. She made dinner and muffins, did my laundry, stayed with Emily Sunday afternoon so that I could have a break, and gave me lots of hugs!
Emily came home from the hospital yesterday. Janica and Akaila helped us leave. Em got a flu and pnmonia shot before we left. Then last night Janica and I went shopping and got some tasty Rudy's BBQ, and today went to the Alamo and Riverwalk, so we still were able to do some fun things. She was a great help, and it was so fun to visit, and I loved having Akaila around. I know this is long. I'm going to try to put up pictures next. Em has another doctor's appointment for her kidneys. They've always looked okay, but they keep an eye on them, so hopefully they'll continue to look good! I'm tired, I'm going to bed!

8 comments:

Amy Jo said...

You are such a good mom. Keep your chin up and think on the positive side! Sounds like you have great support from friends and fam. I hope Em bounces back quickly.

Jenny H said...

Camille!!!!
My heart and brain are exhausted for you. Here, I thought I had it bad when I got a call from Deak's school today thinking he was "a little congested" (he was fine - typical overreaction).
I hope you get some sleep...I wish I lived closer so I could help!!

Aleena said...

Isn't it great to have angels in our lives. I'm so glad Emily is okay now and I'm glad Janica was there to help you! The pictures of Lily and Akaila are adorable. You are such a strong woman and you inspire me! Love ya!

cornter said...

OH!!! OH !!!!OOH!
I am so sorry for you, especially with that nasty pulmonologist!!! Yuck!
I wish I could have been of some help! I'm sorry. Call me when you need anything I am here too. Hope life is looking up a little bit this week. Sound slike you had a great time after the scare was under control. You are truely amazing and my prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

Camille. loved your video of Lily. Must be a lousy doctor. I would change too.

Bill

marianne said...

Camille, I am so sorry you have endured so many struggles. Looking at you and Janica makes me smile...reminds me of when Rachel was a baby and Kathy flew out to stay with me for a few days....with 3 month old Marianne Smoot. They were 3 weeks apart in age...and we had a blast! There is nothing like a sister to help us through a huge trial. Living away from family can be so hard. I'm grateful you have made some good friends. They are angels on earth!!! I love you darling mommy. Love, Aunt Marianne

marianne said...

Oh and one more thing......doctors need to attend a medical school of compassion and empathy....because few doctors have any!!! What you said made me mad.....because I've heard many rude things from insensitive doctors. Just ignore them...and realize that you are smarter than they are with their medical degrees! Love, Marianne

em said...

I didn't even know you had a blog! yay, I am excited, now I get to stock your cute fam!