Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thank you, Emily!

Thank you, Emily, for teaching me how to stick up for myself and say what I think.  I had a guy come and tune my piano Thursday, and he broke a string, which I can understand can happen, but then he wanted me to pay $36 for the string, $45 for him to come back and replace it, and $20 for FIVE additional tunings of the string. What the??? So I told him I needed to think about it and went into the room and called another guy who would do everything (buy the string, replace it, and come back twice and tune it) for $60.   So when I told my piano tuner I was going to have to wait and talk to my husband about things (I didn't tell him I'd called someone else) he said, "Oh, well I can find the string for $17 and I'll put it in for free, and then it's $20 every time I come back. Too bad he didn't say that first, and I might have said okay. I didn't say anything until he was done tuning my piano (though he didn't tune the last octave for fear of breaking another string), and then told him I was still going to wait because I felt like he tried to rip me off. Which he wasn't too happy about, but what am I supposed to think when you tell me one price and then drop it by $50 when you don't think the person is responding well to being ripped off!  So I'm glad I have learned from Emily how to tell someone (in a nice way; I was as nice as possible under the circumstances) to take a hike. The guy who came the next day was much better. Anyway, kind of a silly story but it made me realize that I've come a long ways since being a 23 year old new mom!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Way to go! I think a lot of people learned a lot of things from Emily!

Suzanne Bjornn White said...

I hate people who try to do things like that. Way to stand up for yourself!