Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Road Less Traveled


So this morning I got a call on Skype from my dad, who works in Kabul, Afghanistan, and has traveled this week to Kandahar, Afghanistan. The place you always hear about on the news, where the taliban have much more a stronghold.
I answered his call and he said, "Hi. As I was calling a bomb went off. But I'm safe in the guest house. How are you?" He then paused to ask someone near him if that was a bomb. And then the call was dropped, leaving me to wonder if my dad was okay! He was-he thinks it was an RPG (Rocket Propelled something-gernade maybe?). Life
This picture was taken not too long ago (a few weeks?) in Kabul, Afghanistan. I think pretty much everyone who reads this knows that my dad works in Kabul; last year for a television station, and now for a radio station. On June 30 he's being honored in Provo, UT at the Freedom Festival, along with his friend Steve, as people who have helped promote the cause of freedom. If you would have told me even 10 years ago my dad would be working in Afghanistan I don't think I would have believed you. I wouldn't have wanted to believe you! But we're all pretty proud of the work he's doing there. He sure loves the people there, and has a desire to help them.
My sister and sister-in-law made this sign for Dad for Christmas. It says "A Family that Skis together stays together." We grew up skiing as a family; something we all still love, though most of us never get to, for me because I live in Texas.
My first backpacking trip with my dad and Janica, when I was 14. That's Mt. Baker in the background. We went to Tomyoi Peak and Yellow Aster Butte. The next year we went with my dad and Parker and John to Tamyhoi Lake. I'm glad I have a dad who spent so much time with us, especially enjoying the outdoors.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Your dad sounds like a great guy! And I as an American am grateful for the work he's doing :)

P.S. loved seeing the pictures of you!

Aleena said...

I'm glad your family gets to have your dad home for a while. I'm sure it was so special when he received his award.