Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Monday, May 9, 2011

My angel Lily


Mother's Day has become a bit of a bitter-sweet day for me. I'm sure it is for many of you, too. When Emily was here I always enjoyed it, but it was always a little sad because she couldn't really express herself like most kids-you see little two year olds giving their moms' hugs and cards and kisses, which Em couldn't do. But I was always so grateful to be her mom. And since she's passed away I've had those little sweet moments with Lily of "I love you, Mom," and hugs and kisses and cards, but I wish I could have had them both with Lily and Emily at the same time! So yesterday I was having my moment, crying while watching Music and the Spoken Word (it always makes me cry on days like Easter and Mother's Day) and Lily saw me, and I told her I was okay, I was just sad because I missed Emily. And she came over and climbed up onto my lap and put her arms around my neck and gave me the sweetest hug. Which of course made me cry more! So then she pulled back and looked at me and just gave me another hug. And just kind of held me. Just what I needed. No words, just a hug. Her compassion amazes me. It felt like she was hugging me for Emily.
And Lily has always been like that. When she was 4 months old I remember Emily having a spasm and screaming in pain. Lily started crying and as soon as I went over and picked up Emily and rocked her, Lily stopped crying. She did it again when Robby was there a few weeks later. Shortly after that Emily passed away. But it just amazed us that at such a young age, just a baby, she could be like that. She has her crazy moments, but she can just be so sweet!

3 comments:

Embark Life Coaching said...

That is so sweet!

Jenny H said...

Oh, Lily girl. What a sweetheart. Those special needs siblngs (which Lily is) just have an understanding beyond their years. I also loved your earlier post. I look
up to your testimony and faith more than you know, and am happy you are my friend.

julietcs said...

That'a a powerful experience to have Camille! Very tender and spiritual!