Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

March Madness

So, before the big game tonight, I thought I'd write what March Madness means to our family. I should have known it would always be a part of our life. Our first kiss was after the final NCAA March Madness game, on April 2 2005, when Duke lost to I think Arizona. Robby and I had gone on 2 dates; the 2nd one being an all day ski date to Alta. I had then gone over to his house, "the Casa" two days later and watched General Conference with him and his roommates and their girlfriends. We spent a good portion of the day together just talking, and then he invited me over to watch the basketball game the next day. I could have cared less about the game, but I did like Robby, so I of course said yes. I think I got there for the end of the game, just in time to see his buddy Chad lose it when Duke lost. (sorry Chad).
Robby walked me to my car after the game was over and we held hands for the first time, and then as I was going to get in the car he kissed me! I was totally not expecting it. But I should have known then that basketball would be a big part of our life.
ESPECIALLY when BYU makes it into the tournement. I think most people who read this know that Robby is a slightly obsessive BYU fan-I would say football over basketball, though this year he has Jimmer Fever like everyone else. And Jimmer signed the banner that is hanging up in Lance's room, so even more reason to like him! Every year since we've been married we watch BYU lose in the first round of the tournament. Well, last year they were playing in Oklahoma City, 8 hours away, and Robby decided he HAD to go and support the team. So he drove by himself and stayed and stayed in a Motel 6 and was there when they beat Florida in double overtime to win their first round game in something like 15 years. So now that they're playing in New Orleans, and Robby's not there yet, but if they win tonight (fingers crossed) he'll drive Saturday to New Orleans to watch them play. And then, we would go to Houston if they won that game.
Every year we fill out our brackets and do a "friendly bet." Which I am so far winning this year! And then Emily and I would always watch the games together on Thursday and Friday during the first round of the tournament. So now, March Madness always makes me miss Emily! We do a tounament pick 'em with some of my family and Robby's and some friends. In the last 4 years my dad has been in Turkey and Afganistan, yet he still manages to follow what's going on. He's always overly optomistic when it comes to BYU-he always at least has them going to the sweet 16. But hopefully this year he'll be right-he's got them winning the whole thing! He had them winning the whole thing last year, too.

2 comments:

Jenny H said...

I love this, and the cute kiss memory. I can only imagine how intense it will be watching the game at your house tonight! Wish you were near so we could watch it together:) That Jimmer is even converting a few pretty die hard Utah fans to his cause (only for this tournament though:)he..he)

Jenny said...

Really wish Robby got to make the trip to New Orleans this weekend. Our team had a good year! Go Cougars!