Hammond Family

Moving forward, one day at a time.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

For Parents with Children with Special Problems

My friend had a link on her blog to this, and I read it this morning and had a good cry. I'd read it once before when Emily was younger, and reading it now brought back all the feelings I had while struggling to take care of her. Elder Faust gave this talk years ago at a general conference. I think he captures the joy and heartache of having a child with disabilities better than anything I've read, including the poem "A Trip to Holland." Here's a link http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=6ec405481ae6b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1. I am so grateful for the privledge it is to be Emily's mom. It's a rough time of year without her here-this week was a year ago from when she was in the hospital for the first time last year, plus it's the holidays, so I'm glad for things like this talk to help get me through it.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

We are thinking of you, and you continue to be one of the best moms that I know. Emily was a sweet girl, you couldn't know her without loving her. I hope you are feeling well during this pregnancy, we miss you guys!

Jenny H said...

This talk is so comforting...and I am happy it gave you some for a few seconds today.
We love you guys!

davesadventures said...

I read that talk a number of times the first 2 years of Em's life. I think I should read it again. Anyway, I think it is the same one. HOpe you are doing okay....I love your blog. Maybe I will get the hang of it some day!xoxo

Tyler & Michelle said...

Emily is blessed to have you guys as family!